Sweaty Men Endeavors

The sports blog with the slightly gay name

Friday, May 12, 2006

Enduring Tino

Who's the guy at ESPN that decided Tino Martinez would be a good addition to its Baseball Tonight coverage?

I know that working on TV is likely harder than I realize, and I'm sure Martinez knows much, much more about baseball than I do. And I liked the guy as a player. Players like him who just approached their jobs professionally and came up with clutch hits when needed are why I found it difficult to truly hate the Yankees during their great run over the past decade.

But the dude is just painful to watch in the studio. He comes across much as I'd expect I would, except slimmer and probably more handsome. His hair looks awkwardly styled, like it's Picture Day at school. And he's hard to understand, blurting out often inarticulate sentences, trying to form a coherent thought as he's talking.

That last problem is compounded when paired with Buster Olney (to me, the gem of ESPN's baseball coverage right now), who can be something of a motormouth while darting his hands back and forth, like someone directing a airplane on a tarmac.

When Tino takes a deep breath and relaxes enough for me to make out what he's saying, however, he offers some interesting analysis - especially in regards to the Yankees, which was rather timely last night after Hideki Matsui broke his wrist. So maybe he just needs to exhale just before the red light on the ESPN cameras go on, and will get better later in the season.

But maybe I'm being too hard on Tino. In his defense, at least he's never been as totally shit-faced incoherent (and wobbly) as Rick Sutcliffe was in the Padres' broadcast booth Wednesday night. Check out the clip at Deadspin - you can almost smell the alcohol coming off it.

6 Comments:

  • At May 14, 2006 12:55 AM, Blogger twins15 said…

    Yeah, as if Jeff Brantley and John Kruk weren't enough torture for watchers. Seriously, give me Kurkijan and Gammons and I'm happy.

     
  • At May 14, 2006 8:09 AM, Blogger Ian C. said…

    Actually, I thought Tino wasn't bad on last night's (Saturday's) broadcast. Maybe the dude just needs to relax. Maybe he felt better with another former player (Orestes Destrade) next to him.

    Otherwise, yes - give me Kurkjian, give me Gammons, and throw in Harold Reynolds for the player's perspective (though I think he should be paired with a former pitcher - Al Leiter, anyone?), and I'd be okay with that.

     
  • At May 15, 2006 1:06 AM, Blogger twins15 said…

    Speaking of Leiter, I do hope he gets in the booth for some telecasts at some point. In the past couple years when he was there for the playoffs, I thought he was excellent.

     
  • At May 15, 2006 1:53 AM, Blogger Pradamaster said…

    Tino sucks, totally agree with your claim.

    Orel Hersheiser is really good as an analyst.

     
  • At May 15, 2006 9:44 AM, Blogger Ian C. said…

    I really like Steve Phillips, though he can occasionally come across as a gasbag. I thought he did a nice job of pointing out the mechanics which have caused Randy Johnson and Brad Lidge to struggle this season.

     
  • At May 15, 2006 5:24 PM, Blogger SuperMuchly said…

    I could do without Tino and Reynolds on BBTN but what I find to be the biggest waste of time is when the anchors and analysts gather in that ridiculous "field" in the studio and go through tedious game situations, infield positioning and pitching motions.

    Amateur hour!

    Good God, it's bad enough watching the crew on NFL Countdown do it, but watching Jeff Brantley, clad in shirt and tie, show me how the pickoff move to first should be executed? Shoot me.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home