Sweaty Men Endeavors

The sports blog with the slightly gay name

Monday, September 11, 2006

Game Balls & Extra Laps

I'll have plenty more to say about the Lions' 9-6 loss to Seattle tomorrow. (Eno has something up, though.) But for now, with something of a deadline crunch, please allow me to point over to some quick hitters I wrote for the Motor City Sports website.

Who deserves a Game Ball? Who should run Extra Laps in practice this week? And who might look better or worse after looking at the game tape? Check it out, if you get a chance. It might be a regular feature if it's popular with the kids.

(So let me get this straight: the Tigers lost by 11, and the Lions lost by three? What's wrong with that picture?)

2 Comments:

  • At September 11, 2006 5:13 PM, Blogger SAMO said…

    I thought the Lions offense was supposed to be powerful with Martz? Is it going to be like this all year or was this a one-time thing?

     
  • At September 12, 2006 3:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mini me, I suspect you're seeing the shock of learning 400 plays in a couple months in a timing-based offense. One of their critical third downs and more than one of their potential big plays were ruined not because of the scheme but because the players were just a hair out of sync. That'll come with practice. Should they have it down now? Maybe. But I think they will; they're at least saying the right thing. The other thing to consider is that Rex Tucker and Ross Verba didn't play on the O-line if I recall correctly. That's two out of five starters not playing on the line.

    Ian, as for game balls, how about Ernie Sims? That guy looked like a beast. As a rookie? Damn. He seemed like he was everywhere all at once.

    I'd also give one to Rod just for being so damn excited. Did you see how fired up he was after the first blocked kick? Or later in the game when Jones was running on the side lines? You could see Marinelli in the background gesturing and screaming his head off. You can tell how into football he is. I love that.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home