Sweaty Men Endeavors

The sports blog with the slightly gay name

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Only delaying the inevitable?

After Mike McClary generously mentioned my "crusade" (actually, it's really more of a nudge) to give Craig Monroe a tag worthy of his clutch-hitting mastery on The Daily Fungo Podcast last week, I was hoping to have a hot, fresh update on his nickname situation for you.

Unfortunately, I was thwarted in my attempts to learn if Monroe's teammates had slapped any creative handles on him.

I can't complain. (Okay, I may have complained to one or five people during my drive home. But I assure you it was polite.) As credentialed media (thanks, Motor City Sports Magazine - August issue on newsstands now), I still got to sit in the Comerica Park press box on Monday night. But since the story I was working on didn't require speaking to anyone in the Tigers' clubhouse, I wasn't allowed in that area of the ballpark. I'm not arguing. There was no reason for me to have that access.

Was I disappointed? Certainly. I had a wonderful spiel prepared for Mr. Monroe. Alas, it wasn't to be. If I'm fortunate enough to make at least one more credentialed trip to Comerica Park this season, I can only hope that clubhouse access is part of the package. Because if Craig Monroe was given a sweet nickname by his teammates (especially if it was slightly dirty), we should know about it.

We, the People!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • At August 10, 2006 4:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I was at the game last night, great crowd. Great atmosphere, even though they lost, you can tell they didn't give up after the HR by Morneau.

    After we gathered with some fans to watch the players leave the parking garage. A few players stopped and signed A LOT of stuff, including Sean Casey and Mr. Craig Monroe. What a great team to get behind!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home