Sweaty Men Endeavors

The sports blog with the slightly gay name

Thursday, September 14, 2006

In Roy we trust... ?

It's been the topic du jour on Detroit sports talk radio this week. Even ESPN gave it plenty of play on SportsCenter. Roy Williams has guaranteed a Lions victory over the Chicago Bears this Sunday, which makes me think that, well, maybe Roy's been smoking a bit of what Charles Rogers is often thought of enjoying during his down time.

I know I should be writing something about the Tigers and their continuing slide (so much for Tuesday's win starting a new trend), but they're kind of bumming me out right now. I need to feel better, and I think we all do. Tigers fans are just completely on edge these days, seemingly readying themselves for what would be a historic collapse. I don't know how you guys were raised, but in the Casselberry home, my mother taught me that nothing makes you feel better about yourself than making fun of other people.

It's not that I think Roy deserves ridicule for showing some confidence in himself and his teammates. As Herman Edwards once memorably scolded, you play to win the game. Right? It's just that, well, I'm not sure Roy is the most reliable source on this one.

I wrote a totally in-depth investigative piece on Roy's prognostication skills for the Motor City Sports Magazine website, which you can find here. Roy's made a few other predictions over the past few years, it seems, and let's just say if he was a gambler, he'd be homeless. But I should really let you make that judgment for yourself. Click away!

1 Comments:

  • At September 15, 2006 11:50 AM, Blogger SAMO said…

    I normally condemn athletes that guarantee victories. But this time I think it was actually good thing. Nobody really cares if someone says they will win their week 2 game, that is except for the Lions locker room. Williams is trying to instill a winning mentality in the locker room. Some cockiness and confidence. Good job Roy! The Lions need someone on that team with that mentality.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home