Sweaty Men Endeavors

The sports blog with the slightly gay name

Monday, March 13, 2006

Hardly a trivial pursuit

While you're either filling out your NCAA tournament brackets or waiting for the Lions to make a move in free agency (I mean a significant move, not signing Corey Bradford), please allow me a moment of self-indulgence.

The new March issue of Motor City Sports Magazine hit newsstands last week, and there's a little bit of Ian sprinkled throughout the issue. My hairy face adorns the column on page 10, which explains a recent trend I've noticed in Detroit sports. Fortunately for aspiring artists, the photo is big enough to draw upon with markers. Devil horns, missing teeth, nose hair - knock yourself out. We could have a contest with the best submissions.

My only beef is the editing done to my short biography at the front of the magazine. Eno took out all the stuff about me dating Uma Thurman and Ashley Judd, and turning down a role as the Penguin in the next Batman movie. But I guess I understand, since that's not really sports-related information.

Other than that, however, I also wrote a short piece on Zamboni machines (which was previewed here) and participated in this month's Roundtable discussion, in which my head could be used as the actual "roundtable." (Could I be on human growth hormone and not even know it? Speaking of that, have you read the Barry Bonds stuff in Sports Illustrated yet? I just read it today - hoo boy.)

I'd like to thank MCSM's editor-in-chief, the aforementioned Greg Eno, for giving me this opportunity, which has already led to some amazing experiences (one of which I'll probably share later this week). And I'm also indebted to Kevin Antcliff, without whom there would likely be no magazine to write for, and who graciously mentioned me to Greg when he was looking for contributors. (Have you joined KA's Tourney Challenge, by the way?)

MCSM
should be available at most newsstands, if you'd like to take a peek. The final product looks good, and there's a lot of fun stuff (trivia!) in this issue. If you can't find the magazine or you're not in the metro Detroit area (or outlying regions of the state), and are interested in reading my work, drop me an e-mail and I'll see what I can do.

7 Comments:

  • At March 14, 2006 10:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dude. Not to ignore your own stunning achievements, but how can you not be excited about the Bradford signing?

    He's better than Kevin Johnson, I'd argue. He's been successful as a big play threat, something we've only had splashes of. And he has a nose for the end zone.

    And oh yeah...he's apparently a hard-working dude who's 30 years old and who's played with guys like Brett Favre. Sounds a bit like a mentor figure to me.

    **takes another sip from his honolulu blue Kool Aid**

     
  • At March 14, 2006 10:39 AM, Blogger Ian C. said…

    Evan, I agree with each of your points about Bradford.

    My biggest problem - and I'm admitting this isn't rational - is that this is the first signing by the Lions. While other teams are getting LaCharles Bentley, Adam Archuleta, Antwaan Randle El, Edgerrin James, and signing Steve Hutchinson to offer sheets, the Lions acquired someone who should be a role player on their team.

    That's not to downplay the importance of role players. Every team needs them. And Bradford could play an important role.

    I'm just a bit surprised at the apparent lack of aggressiveness thus far. Teams that obviously targeted players (a la the Redskins and Randle El) made those moves decisively. Who are the Lions really after?

    Maybe they're waiting to see what the market is dictating and making their decisions accordingly. And maybe that will turn out to be the smart move. But for right now, it looks like they're letting other teams beat them to players they could use.

     
  • At March 14, 2006 12:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well, that's true...

    I wonder if Martz doesn't just legitimately believe that another guy is all he needs on the line and that they don't feel like a DB or two and maybe some depth at LB is all they need on defense.

    I mean, if the argument about the Lions is that they've have a ton of talent and no coaching, theoretically, they shouldn't need to do a whole lot, can make a big leap this year, and then can sign a few key players next year to make a run.

    I know, I know. Kool-Aid.

    But still.

    There are still some guys out there they could get that'd be nice to have, of course. I suspect almost all of them will come on defense at this point unless they're planning on taking a safety or CB in the draft.

     
  • At March 14, 2006 1:21 PM, Blogger Sam said…

    At this point if they have anyone on the offensive line, anyone at all, and they're slightly less likely to be embalmed while still on the field, I'd say we have a massive improvement from last year. That's what I want. An O-line. Is that so much to ask for? AM I ASKING FOR THE SKY?

     
  • At March 14, 2006 5:33 PM, Blogger Tim Moore said…

    from what i have seen on the website, MCS is one awesome mag. i wish L.A. had a sports zine... they could call it FCS... freeway city sports.... ok... i know... LAME.. but still.

    spsports.blogspot.com

     
  • At March 14, 2006 6:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It used to be awesome, but this new one looks like MCS for Kids. The last couple were slick. I dont know how long itsa been around, but Ive been reading it since November. Good luck to you Ian. Hope the mag rebounds.

     
  • At March 14, 2006 10:14 PM, Blogger Ian C. said…

    Samela, it's definitely disturbing that the Lions haven't signed an O-lineman yet. I would've thought that'd be their primary target in free agency.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home