Sweaty Men Endeavors

The sports blog with the slightly gay name

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

C'mon! Remember who this guy is!

Those who have read this blog regularly know I'm a pretty modest guy. Yep. Don't like to call attention to myself (you know, just like any other blogger). Don't much care for bragging at all.

But once in a while, something happens that makes me sit back, put my feet on my desk, stroke my soon-to-be-shaved-off beard, and if there's a mirror around, look into it and say, "Dude, you called that one. And by the way, you're not bad-looking today."

You're probably still pouring bleach in your eyes, trying to scorch the image of Barry Bonds dressed in drag from your corneas. So I apologize for bringing it up again. But after seeing Barry-as-Paula-Abdul yesterday on Pardon the Interruption, and reading about it later on Deadspin, something was really bugging me. But instead of bringing that up, commentators such as Mr. Tony and Wilbon were asking if this was indicative of a new Barry Bonds, one who actually has a sense of humor and maybe less of a total a--hole.

Me? I was yelling at the TV. if you scroll down the comments of Deadspin's initial post on the subject, there's a certain response by a blogger you know, one who probably should've chosen a more creative handle but felt the need to point out that which still wasn't being mentioned by anyone. What? You don't want to scroll down? Oh, fine - here's the comment (which really could've been funnier):

The idea that Bonds could actually have a sense of humor is intriguing, but - and I'm just throwing this out there, a la Shani Davis - doesn't the guy also have a pending reality TV show on ESPN? Is it at all possible that he pulled this wacky stunt for his own benefit?

No, you're right - I'm probably being cynical.

And wouldn't you know it, that was exactly the case. Also suspicious, Deadspin was on it today, while admitting they felt used. Bonds' ESPN2 reality TV show, modestly titled "Bonds on Bonds" (Are you #@$%ing kidding me?) hits the airwaves on April 4. Guess when cameras started filming? Yesterday.

It's awfully late in the evening to beat my chest and say I called it - especially when most of you probably won't read this until tomorrow. I apologize; it was a busy day at the Sweaty Men offices. But once I heard the truth on today's PTI, I knew I had to speak. Or type. I'll let the evidence speak for itself.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some bleach to pour in my eyes.

(Photo by Ben Margot/ AP - via Deadspin)

3 Comments:

  • At March 02, 2006 12:14 AM, Blogger Tim Moore said…

    Barry looked exactly like Paula Abdul, that was quality entertainment; it actually made me crack a smile at 5:30am as i was watching sportscenter!

    hey, this is Tim Moore, from LA Sports Connection. I recently switched over to blogger. Can you change the name on my link to Squeeze Play Sports and the url to http://www.spsports.blogspot.com

    thanks alot man!

     
  • At March 02, 2006 9:24 AM, Blogger Cutthroat Pirates said…

    That is too funny, maybe the juice is affecting his head.

     
  • At March 03, 2006 1:09 AM, Blogger twins15 said…

    Even the blind man finds an apple every now and then! ;)

    Just kidding, good call.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home