Sweaty Men Endeavors

The sports blog with the slightly gay name

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Throw 'em at the wall, and see what sticks

While sitting around, waiting for the gutters on my house to be replaced...

♦ Why talk about the John Smoltz-to-Detroit non-rumors when they've already been debunked, dismissed, and derided? Sure, why don't the Tigers make another trade with the Braves that they'd regret for 20 years?

Let's talk about a trade that did happen - not involving the Tigers, but what if it had?

When you saw that Joey Gathright was traded from Tampa Bay to Kansas City on Tuesday, did you think that was a deal the Tigers should've/could've made?

Granderson in left, Gathright in center - or vice versa - Maggs in right, and Thames at DH? Ooooh...

Or is Gathright another Nook Logan? Not the highest batting average and on-base percentage with that one. So probably not the ideal leadoff hitter I was envisioning. Que sera sera...

♦ I don't know if I'm in the minority on this, but I like Ozzie Guillen. Yes, he's obnoxious, insensitive, and thinks a bit too highly of himself. But I also think he's an entertaining alternative (I still laugh at how he summoned Bobby Jenks from the bullpen in last year's World Series) to what we often see and hear from baseball managers.

However, Guillen's latest gaffe makes it hard to defend him. Even if I think Jay Mariotti is an awful sportswriter and a repugnant TV personality who shouldn't have even addressed this in his own paper, this does nothing but make Guillen look like a prejudiced asshole.

♦ Is it far, far beyond a moot point now to look at what Dwyane Wade accomplished this season and not lament the following 12 words:

"With the 2nd pick in the 2003 NBA Draft, the Detroit Pistons select Darko Milicic."

I know, I know. Who knew he'd be that good? Other teams passed on him, too. But I'm not sure I'll ever get over it.

♦ Are we already at the point where we're looking for "the next Dwyane Wade"? Don't do that to those kids (Shannon Brown?!?), Chad Ford.

♦ I used to think Greg Cote of the Miami Herald was a decent sportswriter. After reading this, this, and this, however, I'll probably be changing that opinion. It's $#!+ like this that gives journalism a bad name and makes me think about how I idolized sportswriters as a kid.

♦ I hate to admit this, but I probably watched the NBA Finals for all of 30 minutes. I thought I was a bigger basketball fan than that. Sore feelings over the Pistons losing to the Heat? Maybe. Dreading Bill Simmons' prediction that a Miami championship could signal a return to the "everybody clear out while the superstar runs an isolation play" NBA? Possibly. A general disdain of Alonzo Mourning, Udonis Haslem, and Pat Riley? Surely. Burnout from watching so much basketball over the past four years? Likely.

♦ On the other hand, I think I'll be watching tonight's Twins-Astros game. (Thanks, ESPN.) It might be difficult to keep my eyes focused on the TV while kicking myself for cutting Francisco Liriano from my fantasy baseball team earlier in the season, but I've been hearing a lot about this Clemens kid.

♦ I can't believe I even attempted to make that joke. Thought I was better than that.

Okay, I just heard a loud crash in the driveway. That can't be good.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home