Sweaty Men Endeavors

The sports blog with the slightly gay name

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Remembering the Bad Ol' Days

With the Detroit Pistons and Chicago Bulls once again crossing playoff swords, it's only natural to look back at what made this such a fierce rivalry in the first place. Of course, since the 2007 edition of Pistons-Bulls has been something of a dud thus far, memories of better, more competitive times might be all we're left with.

Late last week, Matt Watson of Detroit Bad Boys asked various Detroit and Chicago bloggers for their most lasting memory of the Pistons-Bulls rivalry, which has now resumed after almost two decades. (Sweet Jeebus, was it that long ago?) I was flattered to be asked, and more than willing to oblige.

Thefirst thing that came to mind was Isiah Thomas and Bill Laimbeer leading the Pistons off the floor with four seconds left in Game 4 of the 1991 Eastern Conference Finals. At the time, I loved that Detroit ended its championship run on its own terms. Laimbeer hugging a tearful Jack McCloskey in the tunnel is an image I'll never forget. And in the process, the Pistons gave a big middle finger to an opponent that hadn't respected their accomplishments.

Now, however, I look back on that and think the Pistons came off as sore losers. History hasn't looked back very kindly on that last display of defiance, especially since it was beginning of the Chicago Bulls' championship dynasty. So I chose instead to focus on a more pleasant memory, something that brings a smile to my face every time I see it.


If you get a chance, stop by DBB and check out what I and several other bloggers remember about those good ol' Bad Boys days. Chicago memories will soon follow (I'm betting this series won't be among them). And thanks to Matt for asking me to participate.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home