Sweaty Men Endeavors

The sports blog with the slightly gay name

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Looking for that Brush St. glory

I would never, ever root for the Tigers to lose - especially in the post-season. But before the game on Saturday, I thought that it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if Oakland won Game 4, pushing the ALCS to a Game 5 on Sunday. Of course, the people in attendance at Comerica Park - suffering in that fall chill and eagerly waiting for their baseball heroes to give them a moment they'd never forget - would've strongly disagreed with me. And they deserved to have their devotion rewarded, not delayed until the next day.

What exactly was I thinking? Well, I wanted the Tigers to completely obscure the Lions and keep them off the Monday morning sports front page. (K-Dog laughed heartily when I told him this.)

The boys in Honolulu Blue have already been (more than rightfully) overshadowed by the men in the Olde English D this fall (which had probably taken some attention away from that Mornhinweg-esque 0-5 record). And if they were going to push that record to 0-6 (which was entirely within the realm of possibility), Detroit (at least the people still paying attention) didn't need that kind of buzzkill.

Naturally, the Lions took the field and won their first game of the season, 20-17, over the Buffalo Bills and old buddy Dick Jauron.

They couldn't let the Tigers hoard all of that Brush St. mojo, right? (Or maybe there was just more than plenty to go around.)

So after a two-week absence, I wrote up some Game Balls & Extra Laps for the Motor City Sports website. Except this week, in lieu of the Lions having found that winning feeling, I just couldn't find anyone who needed to run extra laps after practice or spend more time in the film room. And believe me, I tried. But it all seemed like nitpicking after going over the list I scratched out.

(Really, the Bills should be the ones to run the extra laps for wasting what I thought was an impressive performance by J.P. Losman. That young man can throw on the run, people.)

Congratulations to the Detroit Lions. I suppose they had to win one of these weeks. Seriously though, now that they've cleared that hurdle and Sgt. Marinelli's teachings have finally yielded a positive result, it could be interesting to see what happens from here on out. New York Jets, you're next on the list toward football reclamation.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At October 17, 2006 8:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thus far, I think most of the Lions' players have been holding their own. They are better than their 1-5 record suggests, in my opinion. I think they're good enough to be a nearly .500 or even outright .500 team at the moment.

    But the one GLARING hole, to me, has been the secondary. When Bryant has been out, the long ball seems to be easier for other teams than a 2 yard draw play. And even when he's in, it's not *usually* spectacular coverage that keeps the receivers in check. It's lack of execution from the opponent or a pass rush from the line or something else.

    We need another corner or a safety who is absolutely a master of the Cover 2. Until that happens, we'll be vulnerable to good offenses, especially when Shaun Rogers decides to piddle around and not give it his all.

    Assuming no major injuries, I'm already calling the top three priorities for the off-season as follows:
    (1) Secondary
    (2) O-line
    (3) A speedy receiver to play opposite Roy

     

Post a Comment

<< Home