Sweaty Men Endeavors

The sports blog with the slightly gay name

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Less-Than-Complete-Sports?

I was thinking about changing the name of this blog to Less-Than-Complete-Sports, since I had absolutely nothing to say about Tiger Woods winning the British Open (as Mr. Eno did) or Floyd Landis keeping the American victory streak alive at the Tour de France (Brian is suffering through cycling withdrawal).

But the Sweaty Men Endeavors legal team has advised me that Complete Sports might have something to say about that name change, and I'd be really bummed out if legal fees prevented me from maintaining my Netflix membership, so we're going to stick with what's been working.

While I deal with my anxiety over the White Sox possibly acquiring Alfonso Soriano, instead of the Tigers, here's what's in the thought jar today:

▪▪ Isn't it more likely that White Sox GM Kenny Williams is just hoping to raise the market for Soriano, hoping that the Tigers offer too much in a deal? (Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times says yes.) I don't think Dave Dombrowski plays that game.

▪▪ It's right there in print for me to read, so it must be true, but I'm having trouble believing that the Tigers now have a seven-and-a-half game lead over the aforementioned Pale Hosed Competition after last night's victory over Cleveland.

▪▪ One more White Sox thought: I've defended Ozzie Guillen before, but I'm having trouble maintaining that stance after watching him chew out Jon Garland for not hitting a Texas batter in retaliation for Vincente Padilla plunking Alex Cintron. Ozzie, by the way, doesn't think his behavior warrants a suspension. Imagine that.

▪▪ Something else I'm having trouble believing, despite actual evidence to prove it? The Indians are 23 1/2 games behind Detroit. And 12 games under .500. Chief Wahoo cannot be smiling over how fast that Tribe train derailed.

▪▪ I don't know what Harold Reynolds did to get fired from ESPN, but given the abruptness of the move, one's imagination can be left to wonder. If it's serious, then this is obviously a trivial remark, but Reynolds was the only ex-jock I liked on "Baseball Tonight." If this means we get more of "The Cowboy," Jeff Brantley (and we've already gotten way too much), I might have to wean myself off that show completely. And it's a daily fix for me.

▪▪ It was nice to see Michigan athletic director Bill Martin speak out on the need for renovations at Crisler Arena, but like Angelique Chengelis in today's Detroit News, I kind of doubt it will happen any time soon.

Such a project is probably low on the athletic department's priority list, and I'm not sure it would receive the same financial support that other renovations (Michigan Stadium, Fisher Stadium, Alumni Field) already have. Plus, I wonder how many people look at Crisler and think no more than cosmetic changes to boost the game-night atmosphere are necessary. But hey, renovations could probably be done in the upper bowl throughout the season without worrying about anyone getting hurt.

▪▪ Actually, I do have something to say about Tiger Woods' victory. As someone who lost his own father just over a year ago, I became very emotional as I watched Tiger break down into tears, knowing he couldn't share his latest triumph with his dad. As great as it's been to have some of my writing be published in Motor City Sports Magazine recently, it truly saddens me that my father isn't here to see it.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • At July 25, 2006 7:56 PM, Blogger twins15 said…

    My lawyers have already been advised of this! :D

    This was the first I heard about Reynolds being fired... any more we have to see of Jeff Brantley or John Kruk is always a bad thing.

     
  • At July 26, 2006 11:21 AM, Blogger Sam said…

    Re: Reynolds, the word on the electronic street is that it was continued sexual harassment of female coworkers. So, there's that.

     
  • At July 26, 2006 11:36 AM, Blogger Ian C. said…

    Yep, HR confirmed it himself. Apparently, "hugging it out" doesn't always work in the office place.

    (Via Deadspin)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home