Sweaty Men Endeavors

The sports blog with the slightly gay name

Saturday, February 18, 2006

Warm and toasty

With only two Pistons games this past week, all of the analysis and argument about the Darko Milicic trade seemed to momentarily overshadow the success of the team so far this season. That's how I feel I've been looking at it, anyway. So I'm going to sit back, chant "Ding dong, Darko's gone" four times, and take a deep breath of appreciation for the amazing basketball we've been able to watch during the past three-and-a-half months.

What reminded me to chill out was this photo of the Pistons' four All-Stars, along with their All-Star coach. All season long, Pistons fans have been shouting to be heard, pointing out the obvious: that this team deserved some long-overdue All-Star recognition. Chauncey Billups had to be on that team. Rip Hamilton should be there, too. And since Ben Wallace has been been on the last three All-Star teams, he might as well stay there. Hey, don't forget about Rasheed Wallace. The Pistons wouldn't be champions without him. Hell, send the whole starting lineup to Houston.

Okay, Tayshaun Prince didn't make it. But since the Pistons have the best record in the Eastern Conference, Flip Saunders is the head coach of its All-Star team. Pistons fans are always demanding respect for their team. And now we've all been served a great heaping scoop of it. Take a look and savor it before you dig in.

(Photo by Jennifer Pottheiser/ NBAE)

And this happened a couple of days ago, but I told myself I wouldn't get too excited about Mike Martz joining the Lions until the official press conference announcing his hiring. I'd also need some photo evidence of this announcement to really let myself go.

Now we have it. I've seen a picture of Mike Martz talking to the media, wearing a Detroit Lions jacket-pullover-thing. So now I'm getting excited. No analysis, no commentary, no deliberating. Today, I'm just a fan enjoying something I spent most of the past three seasons hoping for. Mike Martz will be running the Detroit Lions offense. That is pretty damn cool.

Is this keeping you warm on a frigid Saturday, here in Michigan? It's working for me. At least for right now. No outrage or pointing and laughing from me today. Enjoy your weekend.

(Photo by David Guralnick/ Detroit News)

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • At February 18, 2006 8:12 PM, Blogger Cutthroat Pirates said…

    Oh its official and it is great news for You Lion fans. With the wide receivers you got and the RB which is good, I think Martz could make the Lions into the Rams that he lead to the Super Bowl. Congrats this is huge for you guys

     
  • At February 18, 2006 9:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Did you see the Detroit News yesterday? Who does their color correcting? They had the Pistons in PINK All-Star uniforms. THEY'RE BLUE!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home