Sweaty Men Endeavors

The sports blog with the slightly gay name

Friday, February 17, 2006

Oh, I'll definitely tune in tonight

If you don't already have plans for your Friday night, watching the Winter Olympics might not be a bad idea. If you'd prefer to go into your nightly Olympic viewing completely fresh, you probably won't want to read this rest of this post.

But if you haven't heard already, snowboarder Lindsey Jacobellis committed what could be one of the all-time bonehead moves in Olympic (and sports) history earlier today when she decided her big lead in the women's snowboardcross entitled her to a bit of showboating.

Oops. Turns out grabbing her snowboard in mid-air was a bad idea. That little move caused her to fall, allowing Switzerland's Tanja Frieden to speed past her for the victory, and sent her coach to fall to the ground like he'd been shot.

Oh, if only Lindsey thought of that gold medal like she did her Visa check card.

However, Jacobellis insists she wasn't showing off, explaining that grabbing the board while in the air provides stability. Considering that I never have and probably never will step onto a snowboard, let alone launch myself into the air while I'm on it, I should probably take her at her word.

Before judging, the very least I could do is watch the Olympic coverage tonight to see it for myself. Hey, I don't just tune in for figure skating, man.

Oh, and you have to stop by Deadspin for their take on the story, complete with hilarious Photoshopped image.

2 Comments:

  • At February 17, 2006 9:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I just saw the race on CBC. No f'ing way she did that "for stability." She was totally playing to the crowd. And totally deserved to fall flat on her ass.

     
  • At February 20, 2006 10:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    She admitted later on that she did showboat, which I think is totally a day late and a dollar short. Pride goeth before the fall.

    (Also, I'm totally an incompetent viewer. I was watching Friday night and was like, "Hey, that's just like that girl Ian blogged about! I can't believe someone ELSE did that too!" I figured it out quick, but felt pretty stupid for a second there. :) )

     

Post a Comment

<< Home