Sweaty Men Endeavors

The sports blog with the slightly gay name

Thursday, January 26, 2006

I haven't had my morning coffee yet, but...

Did Michigan really beat Michigan State last night? I was nowhere near a TV or radio during the game, but heard the final score on the way home. 72-67? A sell-out crowd? The students rushed the floor after the game? Seriously?

The fact that I didn't bother recording the game probably indicates how I thought the game would turn out. But I'll admit I haven't watched very much Michigan basketball this season, even six games into the 2006 Big Ten campaign. I've been a bad, bad Michigan (basketball) fan. I haven't been a hater, but I haven't been a believer, either. I will obviously have to make more of an effort.

So does Tommy Amaker finally have an NCAA tournament team? And can Michigan parlay this into a win over Wisconsin on Saturday?

▪▪ Todd Schulz of the Lansing State Journal thinks this loss probably cost MSU a chance at the Big Ten championship.

▪▪ The Detroit Free Press's Michael Rosenberg says this was the type of game bitter inter-state rivals should always play. (I agree with Evan and Big Al - Rosenberg is Detroit's best sports columnist right now.)

(Photo by Rod Sanford/ Lansing State Journal)

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • At January 26, 2006 9:57 AM, Blogger the sports dude said…

    Hey, I still am bitter because of what Ellerbe did to the program, as in running it into the ground and ruining it!

    Amaker seems like he is finally righting the ship, but I still am bitter and it will take a lot for me to watch again. I will say this, a win over little brother (I mean Sparty!) in any sport is nice anytime you can get it.

     
  • At January 26, 2006 11:08 AM, Blogger Dave said…

    Yes, Virginia, it really happened. I was there and seed it with my own two eyes. It was a beautiful thing. I was even with a Sparty who was quite inconsolable after the game.

     
  • At January 26, 2006 5:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm happy today, but not surprised.

    My brother (and MSU alum and current MSU law student) and I (a UM alum and current UM staff member) agreed months ago: UM and MSU would split the series, each team winning a game at home.

    Michigan has looked too good too consistently to not be able to pull something like this off now. They're not road warriors, and they're not mentally ready enough to pull out the tough ones (like their close game earlier this year against UCLA). But they can play.

    Hail to the victors, baby!

     
  • At January 29, 2006 3:29 PM, Blogger twins15 said…

    More Big 10 craziness today, as Minnesota had their way with #11 Indiana 61-42!

     
  • At January 30, 2006 6:38 AM, Blogger Ian C. said…

    That reminds me of how I've been neglecting "my" Hawkeyes. Iowa defeated both Indiana and Ohio State at home last week. And it appears that Carver Hawkeye Arena was full (which it usually wasn't the last two years).

     
  • At January 30, 2006 10:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    We'll see what Michigan is really made of when they play a suddenly red-hot Iowa team at Carver-Hawkeye. Frankly, Michigan's doing well enough that they don't necessarily NEED a win in that one (it would still be probably a good idea for them to take care of business against Penn State and Ohio State). But I'd be very pleased if they stayed close and played with fire, because if they look at their first-place tie and sa "hell, this one's just gravy if we can get a win here!" and the Hawkeyes run them out of the gym, I will be real suspicious that their mental makeup will suffice come March.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home