Sweaty Men Endeavors

The sports blog with the slightly gay name

Friday, January 06, 2006

Beat me to it - Part 1

I was ready to pull my hair out in clumps last night while watching SportsCenter. The theme of the show seemed to be whether or not the 2006 Rose Bowl was "the greatest college football game ever." Is it me, or does no one else do this? Who else is so (giddily) eager to declare something "the greatest" or "the best" almost immediately after it happened?

Okay, if USC-Texas was the best game ever, name a better one, Ian.

Sweet Jesus, am I allowed to think about it? Some of us have watched more than a few college football games in our lifetime. Was this Rose Bowl even the best BCS championship game ever? Are you sure it's the best game we've seen in 2006 so far? How about a game with two halves of outstanding football? Did you watch the first half of the Rose Bowl? I don't know about you, but I was ready to go to bed and find out who won in the morning.

Anyway, I was ready to go on and on about this, but then I read this morning's piece by The Betting Fool at SFGate.com. What was the title? "The greatest column in the history of sports journalism." He beat me to it.

4 Comments:

  • At January 06, 2006 1:07 PM, Blogger the sports dude said…

    The word "greatest" gets thrown around and used more than a stripper on a Vikings cruise! The problem with ESPN is that they are always looking for "the greatest" thing, that is what they do best, the sensationalize the hell out of everything! In all honesty, to me, the Rose Bowl last year was better than this years. To me, the Penn State-FSU game was better than this Rose Bowl, at least those teams play defense.

    Here is a spin on the "greatest" word, USC had the "non-greatest" defense I have ever seen, and Matt Leinart is the "greatest" poor sport and ballroom dancer I know.

    Later, and wasn't that the "greatest" comment you ever got here? Damn Ian, you are the "greatest".

     
  • At January 06, 2006 1:25 PM, Blogger Ian C. said…

    Sports Dude, that was easily THE BEST comment this post has ever received. So far.

    Here's another spin on "greatest": Reggie Bush made the greatest stupid play in a BCS championship game with that attempted lateral.

     
  • At January 06, 2006 2:46 PM, Blogger the sports dude said…

    Hey, when you start believing your own hype and think you are unbeatable sometimes crap like that happens.

    The only thing that bothers me about all of this is all the people talking about Vince Young and the NFL. Look, maybe I am missing something here, but I don't think he has a good enough arm to play in the NFL, at least not right now. Like I said about USC and the "non-greatest" defense of all time, do you really think Young would break tackles and do all that weird ass shotgun, fake hand off crap successfully in the NFL? The answer to that is no, if he is to someday survive in the NFL he needs to definitely refine his arm, his accuracy, but more importantly the way he throws the ball... he would not get most of his throws past the D-Line in the NFL, that ball would be batted down to all holy hell.

    There you have it, the second greatest comment this post has ever received, read it and weap people! Later.

     
  • At January 06, 2006 5:27 PM, Blogger Jim said…

    My only comment is that as of Dec. 25, 2005, I have been named the "World's Greatest Dad", and I have a tie to prove it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home