Sweaty Men Endeavors

The sports blog with the slightly gay name

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Do you feel a draft?

I told myself I wouldn't give the Lions' 2005-06 season another thought after Sunday's loss to Pittsburgh. But I heard something this morning that brought back the familiar headaches and chest pains.

How did that win over the Saints on Christmas Eve work for you? Exciting last-second victory, right? Well, hang on there, Santa. On WXYT-AM's morning show, John Lund said that if Jason Hanson had missed that field goal and the Lions lost that game, they'd have the second pick in April's NFL Draft. Instead, they'll be selecting ninth.

So rather than having their pick of the cream of the available college draft, the Lions will have to settle for sloppy seconds - the second-best offensive lineman, linebacker, defensive end, cornerback, etc. Sure, they'll still get a good player, one who should be able to help next season. And maybe another team will want a player available with the ninth pick, and offer to make a trade with Detroit. But those options aren't what they would've been with the second pick and virtually the entire pool of talent for the taking or trading.

This is why I grind my teeth. I need a mouthguard for when I sleep. Or post a blog entry.

(Image via the AP)

5 Comments:

  • At January 03, 2006 7:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    All it takes is one team drafting out of position to send everything into chaos. I'm still holding out hope for Ferguson.

    If the Lions can hire the right coach and show a few key free agents that they're GOING to improve, they might just come out of this thing OK.

     
  • At January 04, 2006 10:38 AM, Blogger Cutthroat Pirates said…

    I think the Lions will come out ok. They have the makings of a great offense. Now they need to search for a great coach (rumor has it that Matt Millen is close friends with Bill Parcells and that Bill might want the job. This has been reported on the NFL Network. It just depends if Jerry Jones will let Bill out of his final year of his contract. As for the Draft, being a Buccaneer fan for so long, I have lived through horrible drafts just like Ian is fearing with his Lions. This team is a few steps away from taking it all, they need a coach, qb and Millen to stay out of the3 coachs way.

     
  • At January 04, 2006 11:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So you're telling me that even when the Lions win, they lose?

    Yeah, sounds about right.

     
  • At January 04, 2006 11:37 AM, Blogger the sports dude said…

    I heard the same segment on the radio and I had a good laugh as well. Actually I was the most impressed with the radio hosts agreeing with me, and that is they would not draft Leinart. Look, sorry here folks, I don't think Leinart has the makings of a good NFL QB, I just don't see it. But hey, I have been wrong before.

    If I were the Lions I would do try my hardest to package that #9 pick for a couple of later first round picks and get the "sloppy seconds" that way.

     
  • At January 04, 2006 10:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm sure they can get a top WR at the #9 spot. Why break tradition?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home