Sweaty Men Endeavors

The sports blog with the slightly gay name

Thursday, December 15, 2005

Ben Sweets?

What did you think of Ben Wallace's rockin' red goggles last night? Chauncey Billups thought "he looked like Blankman," which was hilarious. With that kind of support, it's no wonder Ben ditched the goggles early in the game.

Big Ben is already one of my favorite Detroit athletes. But as someone who has to wear goggles when he plays basketball (though it's been more than quite a while since I stepped on a court), Ben became something else to me. He became an inspiration. He became my hero. So don't let Chauncey make fun of you, Ben. Chicks dig glasses, man.

(Image by Robin Buckson/ The Detroit News)

Actually, I was thinking of someone else when I saw The Bespectacled Mr. Wallace last night. With the giant curly hair and big glasses, along with a healthy slice of confidence and an aura that just screams "bad aasssss," I briefly thought Clinton Portis's alter-ego, "Bro Sweets," was suiting up for the Pistons.

And Portis's teammates love Bro Sweets. When the Redskins were losing and he thought he should stop dressing up each week, his teammates talked him out of it, saying they needed him to keep the locker room upbeat.

(Image from Deadspin)

The Pistons locker room is surely upbeat already. A 16-3 record will do that for you. Big Ben's been a little down, though. He said he didn't know what his role was. But what happened last night? Big Ben became Ben Sweets and brought it with 17 rebounds, five blocks, and four steals. And the sweetness spread to the rest of the team. Rip Hamilton scored 36 points. Chauncey added 28 points, and racked up 19 assists. Sacramento had no chance in the game, losing 109-98.

Blankman? Hell, no. Ben Sweets? Hell, yes.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At December 15, 2005 3:46 PM, Blogger the sports dude said…

    I thought the goggles were interesting, maybe he just did it to lighten the mood as well from his out-of-nature rage the other day.

    I think Ben may be pressing because this is a free agent year for him. He knows that the Pistons have NEVER GIVEN A MAX DEAL to anyone, EVER! I mean, I know he is 31, but Ben is what created DEEEEEETROOIIIT BASKETBALLLLLLL!!!! Maybe he is just trying too hard to prove he should be the man to get the first one in Pistons history, which I think he more than deserves. I don't know, just a hunch, but something tells me that he just needs to relax and I think the glasses and the show he put on last night shows that he is doing just that.

     
  • At December 15, 2005 4:59 PM, Blogger Ian C. said…

    That's something I didn't think about. I'd forgotten that Ben was in contract year. You're right; I'm sure he's pressing.

    I was really surprised Joe D didn't get this taken care of before the season. Maybe he's waiting to see what the market for Ben would be. That's a dangerous way to go, but Joe knows what he's doing when it comes to free agency.

    Though Ben is arguably Detroit's most important player (and certainly provides their identity), I'm not sure that a one-dimensional player (and I hate referring to Ben that way) deserves a max deal.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home