Sweaty Men Endeavors

The sports blog with the slightly gay name

Monday, May 01, 2006

Wait a minute - this haterade tastes funny

As some of you might remember, my Man Card status was up for review a couple of months ago. With your help, I was able to get through that and maintain my membership. This weekend, I grilled some steaks and sawed off some tree branches in my yard. I'm doing really well.

But now, I'm worried about another card in my wallet. I think the Kobe Haters Club might have to call an emergency meeting, and my membership will probably be up for review. I think my previous record of Kobe Hatin' speaks for itself. But I don't know if I can attend any more monthly gatherings in good conscience with how I'm feeling.

In this first-round playoff series against Phoenix, Kobe has been anti-Kobe. He's been passing the ball. Getting his teammates involved. His scoring average is down more than 10 points per game. Lamar Odom and Smush Parker are making plays to help the Lakers win games.

What the hell is going on here? Is it possible that Kobe's regular season of ball-hogging was a ruse, meant to deceive potential playoff opponents? Do you have a better explanation for the Lakers taking a 3-1 lead in the series?

After the clutch shots Bryant hit yesterday - the first to force overtime, the second to win the game - I feel the need to take stock of my opinions and re-evaluate.

Which shot was more amazing? The high-arching floater over Boris Diaw's outstretched arm was simply perfect, just as high as it needed to be. If Kobe took that shot another nine times, how many would go in?

And then there was the game-winner, which Kobe hit with both Diaw and Raja Bell in his face. Everyone in the Staples Center, and everybody watching around the country knew that he - and no one else in a Lakers uniform - was going to have the ball in that situation. Didn't matter.

When asked about the shot, however, Kobe said "It felt routine to me." And I should thank Kobe for that, because reading that quote was enough to send some haterade gurgling back up my throat. Just when I'm ready to embrace the guy and turn in my Kobe Haters Club card, he reminds me why I can't stand him. But no hate today. The man deserves nothing but dap. Props. Praise. Adulation. At least until Phoenix comes back to win the series.

(Photo by Wally Skalij/ Los Angeles Times)

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

  • At May 02, 2006 1:29 AM, Blogger twins15 said…

    This is about why I picked the Lakers to beat Phoenix in the first round. :)

    But really, it's a team effort to get up 3-1, and I have to give lots of credit for the Zen Master. He's been great all year.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home