Sweaty Men Endeavors

The sports blog with the slightly gay name

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

¿Quién es más macho? ¿Jack Bauer o Dion Harris?

Am I a bad sports fan (or more specifically, a bad Michigan fan) if I watched 24 last night, instead of Michigan's NIT game vs. Notre Dame?

Well, that's not entirely true. I did watch a little bit. And I suppose I could've clicked back to the game during commercial breaks. But once Notre Dame built up a 12-point lead, I decided to check out. If Michigan was going to lose that game at home, to a team they'd already beaten earlier in the season, I didn't want to see it. I wasn't going to bother.

I don't know what you guys think, but I feel like I was a bad sports fan. And my punishment for that was missing Dion Harris' buzzer-beating, game-winning three-pointer in double overtime. Michigan 87, Notre Dame 84. Bring on the Hurricanes. One more win on Wednesday night, and Michigan's back at Madison Square Garden for the NIT semi-finals.

Since we're talking about the NIT, does this really matter? Is this run in college basketball's step-tournament better than a quick first-round exit in the "Big Dance"?

I'm trying to look at this through Maize-and-Blue glasses, asking myself "Hey, how many Big Ten teams are playing basketball right now?" (If Minnesota loses to Cincinnati tonight, that number shrinks to one.) But when I take those glasses off to rub my eyes, I also ask myself where the hell this kind of effort was at the end of the regular season. And no matter what happens, that question will affect my enjoyment of this.

Or maybe I'm just a little sore because 24 wasn't that good last night.

▪▪ Schembechler Hall has the best headline on the game, while still questioning what exactly Tommy Amaker's offensive and defensive philosophies are.

▪▪ Michigan Sports Center notes an interesting coincidence between this postseason and 2004's. Is it a good sign for Michigan that MSU was upset in the NCAA's first round?

▪▪ Notre Dame's Chris Quinn kind of wants to laugh, if only to keep from crying.

(Photo by Julian H. Gonzalez/ Detroit Free Press)

7 Comments:

  • At March 21, 2006 8:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    First, I'm two hours behind you guys now, so the Michigan game came on at 5pm out here. 24 comes on at 8pm. No problem there, right? Well, Pros vs. Joes ALSO comes on at 8pm. So, I watch Pros, DVR 24, and watch that after Pros is over.

    I say all that to say this...24 stunk last night, and the plot is starting to annoy me.

    But the Michigan game was one of the best college hopps games I've watched in a couple of years.

     
  • At March 21, 2006 11:07 AM, Blogger The Armchair Quarterback said…

    It may have been the NIT but that was one of the best buzzer-beater shots I've seen in a while.

     
  • At March 21, 2006 11:29 AM, Blogger Ian C. said…

    Ah yes, how "east coast" of me.

    So what you're telling me is, I need to move west to become a better sports fan. Loud and clear, pal. Loud and clear.

     
  • At March 21, 2006 11:53 AM, Blogger Big Al said…

    Don't feel bad, I did the same thing. I had the Wolverine and Piston games on for the first half, and really wasn't paying all that much attention to either. Come on, it's the NIT! At 9, I immediately switch to "24."

    It was only an OK ep, but some eps have to be used to set up where the story is going next. As this one did, with the cliffhangers in regard to Audrey Raines and Wayne Palmer.

    I was able to catch the end of the game after "24." But in the big scheme of things, did the win really mean anything? It was a good game and all, but as I said, it's the NIT! I'd rather see a one and done in the NCAA's than an NIT run.

    I heard mentioned a couple of times that Michigan is 13-0 at home in the NIT. Is that something to be proud of? It just shows their lack of success in making the only tournament people care about...

     
  • At March 21, 2006 12:09 PM, Blogger Ian C. said…

    It's kind of like holding the minor league record for home runs, isn't it? And we know how Crash Davis felt about that.

    (And I wouldn't mind seeing Audrey get offed. Not only is she kind of annoying, but the show just screeches to a halt when she and Jack talk.)

     
  • At March 21, 2006 2:44 PM, Blogger The Big Picture said…

    story of ND's season last night. tough way to end the year.

    and the west coast is awesome! that game was over about 3 hours before we got to watch Jack!

    true though, not a great episode...but's it's building up nicely for the next few weeks.

     
  • At March 22, 2006 2:19 AM, Blogger Cutthroat Pirates said…

    Just to let you know, I have updated my blog. I will now be posting articles about all of the NFL not just the Bucs. However, Bucs are still main focus.
    thanks

     

Post a Comment

<< Home