Sweaty Men Endeavors

The sports blog with the slightly gay name

Thursday, November 10, 2005

What do you want, a cookie?

The big story in Lions Country (I know, I know - I apologize) this morning? Charles "Cheech" Rogers looked sharp in practice yesterday! Hell, yeah! Chuck didn't just show up at the Lions' practice facility. No, no, no! He put on his helmet and pads! He didn't just jog, he ran!

"It's good to see him running," said Joey Harrington in the Detroit News.

Did anybody else have Chris Rock's voice in their head as they read that news? You know, his joke about people who want praise for something they're supposed to do, something normal people do every day?

"He was just sharp today," Steve Mariucci said to the Detroit Free Press. "He had some explosion. He had some quickness in and out of breaks. He caught the football. He did the right thing every time. I thought he was into the practice. I thought he gave us a good day's work."

He caught the football! That shuffling noise you just heard was the Arizona Cardinals changing their game plan for Sunday's contest.

Cheech didn't drop the football. He didn't let it hit the ground, his pads, or face mask. Hell, no - Half-Baked Chuck kept that football right in his hands! How many NFL receivers do that? That's what I'm talkin' 'bout! He looked sharp!

To paraphrase Chris Rock, he's supposed to catch the football, you low expectation-having mother$@#%er!!

Should I just go to the movies on Sunday afternoon?

(Photo by Daniel Mears / The Detroit News)

8 Comments:

  • At November 10, 2005 8:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Heh heh. The sad part is that on my team he'd probably be a starting WR.

    Hmmm...time to check the free agent pool. . .

     
  • At November 10, 2005 9:06 AM, Blogger the sports dude said…

    The thought of Chris Rock doing his routine in hilarious, thank you for the wonderful image in my mind to start the day off right! LOL!

    As far as him being sharp, I agree, who gives a shit! As far as him finally getting it, how many times does it take! I have always been the type of guy that believes you get one chance, one shot, you screw it up then tough shit pal! He screwed up, what, three or four times to get the suspension? And now he is sharp? Now he gets it? He should have never had more than one chance, they should have cut him after his second offense. The problem with America is we are too forgiving, especially with "celebrities" and really it makes me sick.

    One shot and you are done, none of this "three strikes" bullshit. Later.

     
  • At November 10, 2005 9:14 AM, Blogger Ian C. said…

    Hoyt: Chuck Rogers = fantasy pick-up of the week?

     
  • At November 10, 2005 9:14 AM, Blogger Ian C. said…

    Sports Dude, are you channeling Eminem?

    You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow/
    This opportunity comes once in a lifetime, yo

     
  • At November 10, 2005 10:16 AM, Blogger the sports dude said…

    I suppose I could be, in all my great whiteness, be channeling Eminem, but I am not a big fan of his and forgot about that song all together. I know I was a little redundant with my "one shot" point, what I think I typed it 4 times in one comment, but it really has always been my opinion. Too many people get too many chances when they really never deserved them in the first place.

     
  • At November 10, 2005 10:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Charles Rogers = Carlos Pena (minus the doobie).

    So much reason to think he can do it. So much evidence to make us all look like idiots for sticking to that thinking.

     
  • At November 10, 2005 2:07 PM, Blogger Ian C. said…

    Evan, that's an insult to Carlos Pena. At least he's done something in his career.

     
  • At November 10, 2005 5:33 PM, Blogger Greg Eno said…

    Right on, Ian! I can't believe this is even news. Charlie Rogers ought to be ashamed of himself that it is, indeed, "news". That's an indictment, my friend.

    Greg

     

Post a Comment

<< Home