Sweaty Men Endeavors

The sports blog with the slightly gay name

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Happy Hour 02/28: Non Sequitur Shots

♦ According to John Heuser of the Ann Arbor News, Steve Breaston's NFL Draft stock is rising, and Alan Branch's could be falling. David Harris and Leon Hall also impressed the scouts, while Prescott Burgess looked slow.

♦ As I've mentioned before, Dr. Lil' Sis' boyfriend is a huge University of Tennessee fan, so I got a reminder to watch last night's big game vs. Florida (which I might have watched anyway, since it was on right after Michigan-Michigan State) because Pat Summit was going to do something in response to Bruce Pearl's bizarro body paint bonanza.

I'm not saying I'd like to see it every night, but Summit leading the crowd in "Rocky Top" while dressed in a cheerleader outfit was pretty amusing. Again, it's just fun to see coaches who don't always take everything so damn seriously.

♦ Would Mark Cuban be the best or worst thing to happen to Major League Baseball if he bought the Chicago Cubs? I just watched a profile of him on HBO's Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel, and admire that he refuses to sit upright with his feet placed together in David Stern's classroom. I'd love to see what sort of innovations and energy he could bring to baseball. However, it seems like the dude could be spreading himself awfully thin if he does this.

♦ Did you see MELblog's list of the top five Michigan running backs of the 1990s? I don't think I have any argument. But after reading that list, I'm still baffled that Tyrone Wheatley and Tim Biakabutuka had such terribly disappointing NFL careers.

♦ Speaking of lists, shouldn't there be at least one athlete in the top 10 at Mancrush.com? Or is it just too soon after the whole John Amaechi-Tim Hardaway uproar? (via Pop Candy)

♦ Would you watch a sports version of Best Week Ever? According to The Big Lead, that might be what ESPN has cooking. I think it sounds like a terrible idea. Fox Sports Net kind of already tried that with The Sports List, which was rather awful (despite getting to check out Summer Sanders) and lasted only a month.

Here's what it would come down to for me: I don't care what some slapdick stand-up comedian I've never heard of thinks of that week's Yankees-Red Sox series. If I want sports humor or snark, there are at least 25 places to find that on the internet. Now if ESPN was going to have sports bloggers on that show, that'd be a different story...

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At March 01, 2007 10:47 AM, Blogger SAMO said…

    Cuban would be great for the mlb. No salary cap he can buy a team that sucks and make them really good if he spends the money wisely.

     
  • At April 02, 2019 4:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    wow, amazing post www.pelicanpreschool.nsw.edu.au/

     

Post a Comment

<< Home