Sweaty Men Endeavors

The sports blog with the slightly gay name

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

My shining moment?

I didn't pay much attention to Monday night's national championship game after halftime, but not necessarily because the score wasn't that close and UCLA had mustered only 25 points. No, I think my interest was low because the Bruins' presence in the title game ensured that I was the winner of Kevin Antcliff's Super Blogger Tournament Challenge Extravaganza.

When I say "I was the winner," however, I really mean "I was lucky as hell and just barely squeaked out a victory." And when I say "barely squeaked out," I'm talking by the hair on my chinny-chin-chin. I finished just one point ahead of Complete Sports, who not only knows a hell of a lot more about college basketball than I do, but is actually a UCLA fan, so this must've been particularly painful for him.

However, he's been an excellent sport and taken his loss like a man, posting a salute to the winner, as was agreed upon by each participant in Kevin's Happy, Happy Tournament Pick 'Em and Super Fun Variety Hour.

Also gracious in defeat were the aforementioned Mr. Antcliff and Need4Sheed. (Hello to anyone who's here for the first time because of their links, by the way. I hope you keep coming back, by the way.) You guys are making me blush. Seriously. But keep your chins up. Just remember, we're all winners. I just happened to be more superior (not way more, just a smidge totally more) than you in this one instance. If it's any consolation, I spilled salsa on my sweatshirt earlier today at Qdoba, so the world still insists on keeping me humble.

And if there's one prize to be truly won from this, it's that I finally got a spot on Need4Sheed's blogroll. I didn't want to beg. I didn't want to plead. But man, I wanted my blog on that list and have spent the past couple of months making serious puppy dog eyes at it. That day has finally arrived, and well, I think my blog looks damn good there. Affirmation, baby.

Natalie runs the best-looking and most fun sports blog around, in my opinion. I'm considering getting a tattoo of her Rip Hamilton cartoon head on my waiting-to-be-toned bicep. (Also in the running are Chauncey Billups on one shoulder, and David Hall on the other - bit of an inside joke if you're not in the metro Detroit area.)

Thank you kindly, ladies and gentleman. My winners' touch is now eyeing a fantasy baseball trophy. Look out!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

  • At April 05, 2006 3:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The game was not great but the opening was amazing! Especially the recreation of the Grant Hill dunk, wow!

     
  • At April 06, 2006 1:19 AM, Blogger twins15 said…

    congrats on the win! the ucla game was bittersweet for me, but i'll take a bruins victory, i guess. good picking, especially since iowa was out early for you. hopefully the results are different next year! :D

     
  • At April 06, 2006 1:40 AM, Blogger Natalie Sitto said…

    I know you have got to joking about the Blogroll.

     
  • At April 06, 2006 9:06 AM, Blogger Ian C. said…

    Jon, the win does take some of the sting out of Iowa's loss. (And so does Alford apparently staying at Iowa, instead of bolting to Indiana or Missouri.) But that's still one of the most embarrassing 1st-round upsets EVER.

    Natalie, look at my face. Do I look like I'm joking. I tried to pick up women at the bar with your blogroll last night.

     
  • At April 06, 2006 10:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Huh. I've been on her roll for months. Worship me.

     
  • At April 06, 2006 9:59 PM, Blogger Ian C. said…

    Antcliff!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home